Make the best of your oily skincare routine this winter
Your oily skincare routine doesn't have to be difficult
If you do not know by now, there is no one skin type. Most dermatologists will agree that there are at least five categories of skin type:
- Normal - small pores, little to no breakouts, clear skin (in other words, perfect skin)
- Combination - occasional breakouts, an oily t-zone area, some dry patches
- Dry - tight pores, flaky and patchy skin, uneven skin tone
- Sensitive - prone to skin irritation, inflammation or redness, acne breakouts. It usually has an underlying skin condition such as psoriasis, eczema, or rosacea
- Oily - your sebaceous glands overproduce oil, prone to acne breakouts, enlarged pores
Knowing your skin type helps to guide your skincare routine. For example, if you have oily skin, there is no reason why you should use oil-based skincare products. But, if you have dry skin, you are better off using oil-based products that seal the moisture into your skin.
With the onset of winter, most U.S. cities are cooler and drier. This means that it's time to change your skincare routine. While most people tend to focus on protecting dry or sensitive skin during winter, we want to focus on oily skin. I know what you’re thinking, “if I have oily skin, why should my skincare routine shift when it’s drier and cooler?” Remember that like Summer bodies, good skin is made during winter, too! So, if you want to spend next Summer foundation-free, with a kiss of bronzer, keep reading to learn about:
The most effective skincare products for oily skin
1. Wash your face with water-based face cleansers
One of the main issues with oily skin is that it builds up grime. As your skin overproduces oil, it attracts dirt and other free radicals. These destroy your skin over time. Water-based face cleansers remove water-based toxins such as sweat and dirt. There are three types of water-based cleansers:
- Cleansing water
The type of cleanser you use is a matter of preference, so long as it is water-based. If you want a face cleanser that removes impurities, a foaming face cleanser is always the way to go. Recently, I hopped on Kiehl’s skincare product train, and already I am a believer! Their Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash is ideal for oily skin types. Calendula is an antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory natural skincare ingredient. That makes it perfect for targeting some of the bacteria that cause acne common in oily skin.
2. Use a face toner instead of an astringent
Many people confuse skin toners and astringents, so before you do that, let me confirm that they are not the same! Most astringents are alcohol-based, so they dry out your skin over time. Resist the belief that drying skincare products are what your oily skin needs! Whether you wear makeup often or have oily skin, skin toner is your friend! An ideal skin toner helps to remove excess debris leftover after you cleansed your face.
There are many face toners on the market, so choosing the right one can be difficult. Choose an alcohol-free face toner such as Dickinson’s Enhanced Witch Hazel Hydrating Toner. I have been using this toner for over a year now, and it works wonders for my combination skin! It is alcohol-free. Remember, if you use an alcohol-based toner, it will strip your skin of its natural oils. When you strip your skin of its natural oils, the sebaceous (oil) glands produce more oil. If you have oily skin this will be an issue long-term.
3. Find a skin serum that targets oil production
Serums are the best thing that happened to skincare routines, bar none. Using a serum as part of your oily skincare routine can be a game changer! That is if you use a serum that has the right skincare ingredients! Here are a couple of skincare ingredients that help to decrease pore size, reduce oil production, and hydrate your skin:
- Salicylic acid - this miracle acid has been used in skin care products for decades now. It is an anti-inflammatory that exfoliates your skin, evens your skin tone, and reduces the overproduction of oil. If you have oily skin, these three benefits are critical.
- Vitamin C - this is one of the main skincare ingredients found in Masktini’s Woke Bae Whenever Moisture Spritz. This face spritz moisturizes your skin throughout the day or night and has a bit of a mattifying effect. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that defends your skin against free radicals. It also boosts collagen production.
4. Apply a face mask as part of your day or nighttime skincare routine
I love face masks! Like a face toner, they remove impurities that cleansers simply cannot. As mentioned in a previous post, there are different types of face masks on the market. The one you choose should be suitable for your skin type first and preference second. You need to ensure that whichever face mask you choose is alcohol-free. Masktini’s Twilight Zone Tahitian Detox Mask is a gentle face mask that you can use at any time. It is foamy, which is perfect for someone who has enlarged pores and oily skin. This creamy face mask will leave your skin feeling calmer, clearer, and smoother.
So, there you have it - a few skincare products that are most effective for oily skin. As with all skincare routines, remember to apply sunscreen always! Finding a routine that works for your oily skin may be challenging, but that does not mean it is not worth it. Use this winter to experiment with your routine and stick to what works once you find it. With consistency, you will love the results and show off your glowing skin all Summer 2021. Until next time!